"With the Specimens on the loose they're beginning to spread out to rural areas and with them their havoc and chaos. The country sides have been evacuated but not everyone made it out alive. Most were caught off guard and murdered in their own beds. Your task is to eliminate these freaks from this sector."
is a large open map based in a rural area with a small number of buildings and a dry riverbed. It is the only one of five maps initially packaged with the Killing Floor
to not have been featured in some form on the Killing Floor mod, having originated on Tripwire's previous game Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 as RO_Hedgehog. The players take control of the team by their helicopter, which promptly takes off, near a bridge and a burning pile of cows.
The open nature of the map, the level of darkness, and the lack of many distinct landmarks can lead to some players finding themselves getting lost amongst the fields. Due to the lack of obstacles, however, it is fairly easy to regroup at the Traders' next active shop.
The map is large and approximately round in shape, and the bridge near the players' spawn marks the approximate centre of the map. Under the bridge, and spanning the entire level, is a dry riverbed. This riverbed travels directly off the edge of the traversable map one end and loops around the other end where it eventually disperses near the smallest accessible building and the second bridge. There is also a road spanning the entire map which crosses the dry riverbed at two points. There are a total of seven accessible buildings, three of which are barns, the other four each housing one of the Traders' shops. These four buildings are distributed evenly about the map.
Any of the buildings on the map can be used for defence in a pinch, but the larger two however need proper preparation to be effective defensive positions due to the amount of doors that will need welding. The lack of windows on the three barns means that in order to be effectively used they require one of the doors to remain open. The building surrounded by the metal fence is a particularly good defensive position, having only two doors both covered by windows, and three ammo and weapon spawns within its confines.
- The lack of light in the vast majority of the map can be alleviated by increasing the game's gamma setting so that details can be clearly made out.
- Thanks to the openness and size of the level, the Sharpshooter is a favourable perk to play, being competent at picking off specimens from afar.
- Commandos can be useful for spotting specimens in the areas with tall plants, especially Crawlers and Stalkers.
- Try to stay on high ground to prevent being overrun. The map has many small hills, which can be used as vantage points.
- If you're out in the field and under pressure, run towards the nearest light. Light indicates either a bonfire or a building, and both will provide a better view and possibly ammo or weapons.
- As a Support specialist you should buy a Hunting shotgun and go into a building with only one or two close doors. Keep welding the doors as the wave goes on, once a good majority of specimens are behind a door, let it open and use the Hunting shotgun's alt fire at the specimens crowding the door, this should kill almost all of them depending on your class level. The specimens will be stuck at the door and only a few will get in at a time, use this to your advantage.
- For a Firebug, a good strategy for leveling is to play KF_Farm with the Bloated mutator activated and on Suicidal difficulty. Heaven.
Bugs and exploits
- Standing on the fire near the center of this map will not harm you.
- On the north west section of the back of the truck, there is a wall with barrels which you cannot be harmed if you crouch.
Click on an image view it at full size and it's related information.