|| £750 (£562)
|| 10 blocks
|| 2 44 (46)
|| £15 – £345
“A double barreled shotgun used by big game hunters. It fires two slugs simultaneously and can bring down even the largest targets, quickly.” —Trader description
The Hunting shotgun is the tier 2 weapon available for the Support specialist. It is a double-barreled shotgun that fires its two shells at an extremely fast rate and can deal a large spike of damage to any specimen. The alt-fire shoots both barrels at once for one powerful shot by using the alt-fire (mouse 3 default). With one shot, it can kill multiple Clots (which earns the achievement, Careful Spender) and in two shots (or one, on higher ranks) it can explode a Bloat. Its major downfall is that only two shells can be loaded at once, and both shells must be fired before it can be reloaded. Compared to the Shotgun, the Hunting shotgun has a huge spread, so a close-range attack is required for maximum damage.
The Hunting shotgun, like all special weapons, is never randomly spawned on the map by the game. Hunting shotgun has 1.1x of headshot multiplier.
- Alt-fire shoots 20 pellets (both barrels are fired at once), while primary-fire shoots 10 pellets (one barrel is fired). Before the major balance patch, primary-fire shot 6 pellets, and as a result, alt-fire was the "primary" fire.
- It's best to get close to a strong specimen (Scrake or Fleshpound preferably) and hit the alt-fire. Be ready to backpedal for a second shot. If done correctly, they will usually die in 2-3 blasts.
- Move in a strategic way to bunch up a group of specimens and once you have clumped enough specimens together, attack the group with the alt-fire. Its wide spread can be a great advantage for killing a large group at point-blank range.
- Avoid using it as your primary weapon. The Hunting shotgun has an extremely slow reload and is most useful for large spikes of damage against powerful specimens. In addition, ammo for it is £15 for 2 shells, causing it to refill, and can be fairly expensive for constant use.
- With the major balance patch, the cost for two shells has been reduced to £15, and the starting ammo has been reduced. As a result, the tactic for selling then buying hunting shotgun is now ineffective.
- The lever-action rifle (or others, though the rifle is arguably one of the better choices) can complement the hunting shotgun: the rifle allows the Support Specialist to remain productive at mid-ranges (precision is necessary, however) and eliminate weak specimens quickly, while the hunting shotgun will effectively repel closer, more dangerous threats. As an added plus, the rifle and its ammo are some of the cheapest in the game. It is a good idea to obtain the shotgun first, then the rifle, as the basic pistol can suffice in the first few waves.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Extremely powerful.
- Fast single fire-rate.
- High penetration.
- Large spread.
- High pellet count per shot.
- Ammo boxes give 10 shells, worth 75.
- Only stores two shells.
- Long reload.
- Both shells must be spent before reloading.
- Ineffective at medium/long range.
- Somewhat expensive ammo at £15 for two shots.
The Support specialist perk gets a discount on the Hunting shotgun from the Trader, and spawns with the Hunting shotgun at level 6.
|| Sale value
|| Damage per shell
|| Ammo capacity
Bugs and exploits
- As of 1035 update, the alternative firing mode can continue shooting and dealing damage even if the user has no ammo left. Using primary firing mode will cause it to act as it doesen't have ammo - making the gun unsusable. Dropping it and picking it up again will make it functional as it was before.