“An advanced automatic shotgun. Fires steel ball shot in semi or full auto.” —Trader description
The AA12 (Auto-Assault 12) is the tier 3 weapon available for the Support specialist. The AA12 is a fully automatic combat shotgun with rate of fire and magazine size comparable to assault rifles, but which lacks in total magazines compared to assault rifles. It also has smaller spread than other shotguns and thus has a longer effective range. The high rate of fire and damage output is enough to kill a Fleshpound under most circumstances. The AA12 has the largest ammo reserve of the shotguns at 80 shells by default. The AA12's alt-fire option switches it to semi-automatic, which can be used to preserve ammunition. The AA12 has the lowest single shot damage of all four shotguns, however it has the highest rate of fire, DPS and second highest accuracy, making it a desirable choice for support specialists.
The Support Specialist perk gives bonuses and discounts for the AA-12.
|Level||Discount||Price||Sale value||Damage||Ammo capacity|
Price and ammunition
The AA-12 has a base cost of £4000, being one of the most expensive weapons. The support specialist perk offers discounts on this cost at intervals of £400 per level, to a current minimum price of £1200. The ammunition cost is £40 for one 20 round magazine; £160 for a full refill at the base level, and £208 at level 6.
AA-12 spreads 5 pellets per shot with each pellet dealing 30 damage with 1.5x headshot multiplier. With a very low 150 (base) damage per shot, the AA-12 isn't powerful when fired once; instead it boasts an extremely fast rate of fire to take down crowds or tough zeds. Along with its large drum magazine capacity of 20 shots, the AA-12 fires tightly spread pellets to help focusing damage to carve a path through crowds of specimen while providing hefty and stable DPS until magazine empties. Support Specialist gains damage bonus of 10%, adding 15 extra damage per 5 pellet buckshot up to a maximum of 90 extra damage by level 6, granting 240 damage per shot to AA-12.
Being magazine loaded, it shares 75% pierce efficiency of other magazine loaded shotguns such as HSG-1 and Vlad the Impaler. At its base value, each target pierced cause pellets to lose 25% damage which is reduced by Support Specialist perk bonuses down to 2% damage loss per target. For the recoil spread value and fire rate, it shares the same 0.2 second shot delay and 1125 unit radius spread at maximum distance per shot with Combat shotgun; approximately 12.5% larger spread than standard Shotgun.
Before the reload, it can deal up to 3000 damage over the course of 3.8 seconds that scores 789 damage per second from up close and losing efficiency as distance grows due pellet spread. Considering 3.133 seconds reload time, after the reload this huge burst reduce down to 432 damage per second over the course of 6.933 seconds. At the hands of level 6 Support Specialist it barely deals 4800 damage from bodyshots at full efficiency making it 1263.15 damage per second before reload and 692.34 damage after reload. By sheer headshots, AA-12 has the potential of dealing up to 7200 damage at the hands of a level 6 Support Specialist on paper but its wide recoil, kickback on the move and loose spread at distance leaves huge margin for error.
- While the AA12 is capable of fully automatic fire, this is rarely required. Using the semi-automatic fire mode will help conserve ammunition and allow it to be used as an efficient crowd control weapon with the freedom of switching back to tackle heavier specimens, such as the Scrake.
- The AA12 is accurate for a shotgun, so aiming for the head is effective with 1.5x headshot multiplier. If facing a combinated attack, it's wise to trace the big specimen's chest level to sweep clear behind them then focus on their head or center mass if desperate.
- At higher levels of the Support specialist perk, it is possible to carry any other shotgun in combination with the AA12, allowing the player to adapt their shotgun usage to the situation while also carrying an additionaly sidearm. At low mid levels by level 2, it's only possible to carry HSG-1 with AA12; by level 3 Support gains the capacity of carrying a middle weight of 8 kilogram shotgun with any heavy shotgun such as AA12 or Hunting shotgun only.
- Being a shotgun, the AA12 still benefits from the support specialist's penetration bonus, so lining up several specimens helps conserve ammo.
- On higher difficulties, the damage figures of an AA12 drum magazine alone is not enough to take down a Fleshpound or a Scrake. If left with no other options, the AA12 can be used to eliminate a fraction of a large specimen's health; however, the AA12 should generally be used for eliminating large groups of smaller specimens when the team is on the verge of being overwhelmed. AA12 at high difficulties always should be paired by a weapon switch combo for the burst. Else it should be focused at big specimen's throat after a few pre-damaging shots from another shotgun before switching to AA12 and dumping it.
- Scrake can easily be killed by AA12 if most of the shots focused on its head. Easier way to achieve this without enraging Scrake to get retaliation is flinching the Scrake first by some melee tool like Katana or Fire axe alt-fire heavy swings or Machete alt-fire jab at its face else Lever-action rifle headshot to cancel its chainsaw swing from up close. After Scrake canceled its chainsaw swing, player can crouch and uppercut Scrake with AA12 chinshots to kill him safely.
- An entire AA12 magazine won't enough to kill a Fleshpound at Hell on Earth difficulty with high player counts alone with their 50% innate resistance to most conventional weapons. AA12's highest damage potential being 4800 at most from bodyshots, halving this damage means Fleshpound will catch up to you while you're reloading in no time after enduring the entire magazine. At times of desperation, pace two seconds between 1-2 AA12 single bodyshots before dumping AA12 at Fleshpound's head as much as you can as he's enraging, then score a few more shots to amber core as he runs towards then swiftly switch to another shotgun for a bursting finish off. This should deal immense damage if not kill him outright, just it wastes almost entire magazine while you can use it to clear masses of specimen or waste less ammo.
- Fleshpound can be enraged on top of stacked grenades when pre-damage with one AA12 shot, toss a nade then immediately shoot once again to stack two more grenades as he enrages. When first grenade go off, they will explode in a chain to deal massive burst to Fleshpound and anything close by. Rest of the magazine can be used to sweep clear behind Fleshpound and kill him if he were to survive the tripple grenade stack at high player counts.
- While the AA-12 is certainly a powerful weapon, it still suffers from the down fall all shotguns have - spread at range. At 50 feet, the AA-12 is rendered almost useless and has a lengthy reload time of over 3 seconds. Therefore, it is wise to carry a secondary, long range weapon such as the MK23, lever-action or Single Piston Long Musket for purposes of clearing trash, picking off long ranged threats like Husks and flinching Scrakes respectively.
Advantages & Disadvantages
- Very high rate of fire and damage per second;
- Smaller spread than other shotguns, making it more effective at range;
- Cheapest shotgun ammo at £2 per shot;
- Large drum magazine;
- Fastest reload per shell of any shotgun.
- Very expensive;
- Heavy, at 10 blocks
- Cannot cancel reload like the pump-action shotgun or combat shotgun.
The weapon is the Atchisson Auto Assault-12 gauge (AA-12) with a 20-round drum magazine.
|Equipment by perk|
|Weapon damage table|