Husk fireball launcher
“Ripped from the arm of a dead Husk the Firebug gets his asbestos-covered hands on the fireball launching Huskgun!!! Charge this baby up and watch the zeds explode in a ball of flames!” —Steam store description
The Husk fireball launcher is a high tier flame based cannon weapon for the Firebug perk that mirrors the Husks' cannon. It can be charged to varying degrees for more powerful shots that consume additional fuel, or treated as a semi-automatic weapon and be rapid fired. Currently, it is the only weapon in the game that features a chargeable attack and to have a single ammo pool that negates the requirement to ever reload the weapon.
Price and ammunition
The base price of the Husk fireball launcher is £4000, one of the most expensive weapons in the game. This price is decreased for firebugs at intervals of £400 per level, down to a minimum of £1200. The ammunition costs a flat rate of £2 per single unit, and the weapon holds 150 units of fuel by default. This can be extended to up to 240, in intervals of 15 with increasing levels of the firebug perk, leading to a total maximum refuel charge of £480 at level six. The shots fired use between 1 and 10 units of fuel each depending on the charge level of the individual shots.
The Husk Fireball Launcher deals impact damage and burn damage. Firebugs only receive a damage bonus and perk progression for the burn damage, not the impact damage. It takes 3 seconds to fully charge the Husk Fireball Launcher; when it is, its sound changes and gains a slightly higher pitch, as well as the sights becoming more steady. Husks have a high resistance to its afterburn effect.
100-750 damage. The gun has a base damage of 100 gets a bonus of up to 7.5x for a fully charged shot. There is a 1.5x headshot multiplier, meaning the Husk Cannon can do 150-1125 for a headshot. The impact damage is high enough to be able to stun a Scrake with a headshot, or on lower difficulties kill a Flesh Pound in a single hit (Headshot).
A fully charged headshot from a level 6 Firebug deals 1800 damage to the head and even 1348 to a Fleshpound's head. This is enough to two-hit kill a Scrake on Hell on Earth difficulty with 6 players and leaves a Fleshpound with only 366 head health.
The amount of burn damage dealt and the explosion radius increases by charging the Husk Fireball Launcher.
37-75 damage. The base explosion damage is 25, and gets a bonus of up to 2x. The fire also deals an extra 1.5x damage. The burn damage is improved by the Firebugs perk level. A level 6 Firebug will deal 1.6x more damage, giving a damage range of 59-120.
As of the Hillbilly Horrors update, hitting burning enemies with the Husk Fireball Launcher no longer resets the cumulative damage. Meaning that more damage is done over time.
The base explosion radius is 150 and goes up to 450 for a fully charged shot. By comparison, the LAW has an explosion radius of 500.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Strong against large groups of weak-medium specimens;
- Ignites enemies, causing damage over time and sometimes stunning them;
- Medium blast radius allow player to ignite multiple specimens;
- Never requires reloading;
- Cheap ammo;
- Longer-ranged weapon than flamethrower;
- Can charge attack for increased damage.
- Mediocre damage output against a single enemy;
- Expensive ammo in comparison to other Firebug weaponry;
- Limited ammo reserves;
- Extremely expensive at low perk levels;
- Fireballs have slower projectile speed than bullets;
- Charging up for a more powerful attack takes considerable time between shots, and can drain ammo reserves quickly;
- Flames can obscure vision;
- Noise from the weapon when charged up can mask the sound of approaching specimens (or the Patriarch).
- Attempting to manually reload while wielding this weapon will still cause the character to announce that he is reloading. Interestingly, this cannot be done twice in a row without firing.
- The trader image inaccurately depicts the weapon without its pistol grip handle.
- This is actually a headshot-capable weapon. When hitting a specimen in the head with a no charge shot, the specimen's head will sometimes pop as if shot in the face with a sharpshooter weapon, but most times will kill the specimen and send it flying several meters back.
|Equipment by perk|
|Weapon damage table|