From Killing Floor Wiki
|M79 Grenade Launcher
|| £1250 (£937)
|| 4 blocks
|| 24 (£10 – £240)
“A classic Vietnam era grenade launcher. Launches single high explosive grenades.” —Trader description
The M79 Grenade launcher, colloquially the M79, is a single-shot grenade launcher. Its firepower is the exact same as the M32 but it lacks in fire rate and reload speed. Furthermore, when using the M32, you carry more ammo. Therefore, keeping a back-up weapon is a good idea as it can be used to defend yourself at close range. The M79 is simply a cheaper and lighter option of the M32. Low level Demos should buy this first before saving for the M32 to stay efficient throughout the waves rather than using a weaker weapon like the pistol for earlier waves.
As with any explosive, anyone or anything that takes damage but lives through the explosion will burn with a small fire for a few seconds. This deals no damage, but can be useful for tracking invisible zeds such as the Patriarch and Stalkers without relying on a Commando.
There is also a "Golden M79" available in the "Golden Weapons" DLC. Its statistics are identical to the normal M79.
- Use the M79 to thin out the oncoming horde; have pipe bombs scattered around so if too many specimens get close, none will get through. Also, use a melee weapon or a sidearm for those awkward times when specimens are too close for you to fire your launcher safely.
- Pairing the M79 with a Shotgun is a common and viable tactic.
- If the player is carrying an M32 as well, rely on the M79 for groups of weaker enemies, or for softening groups up - save the M32's raw destructive power for the larger specimens such as the Fleshpound, and stick close and rely on your team for taking care of small threats up close.
- The M79's grenade is nearly impervious to the Siren's scream - very rarely will it detonate in mid-air. If one can get a clear shot, take it.
- If an enemy is too close, aim at the floor/wall behind it. This will let you avoid most of the explosion's damage.
- Try not to use grenades on the Scrake, and instead signal your team and let them deal with it. While the M79 can stun the Scrake at lower difficulty levels, it can't do enough damage - taking 10 or more grenades on higher difficulties.
- To kill bigger enemies, you can throw hand grenades on the ground near a target (known as stacking), and then hit it with an M79 or M32 to cause all of the grenades to explode simultaneously.
- As an off-perk weapon Berserker can carry it easily without having to worry about blast damage as Berserkers can resist blasts like everything else pretty well. Another volunteer is Support Specialist as they have higher grenade capacity and damage just like Demolition Experts, M79 can serve as a device to set off stacked grenades.
- The M79 may be too weak to kill a siren in one shot, but the explosive force does throw them around quite a bit. Keep this in mind, as a grenade that detonates behind the siren means she's going to fly in your face. Conversely, a detonation in front of the siren will push her back.
- When reloading the M79 grenade launcher remember to switch weapons, then switch back to the launcher. This allows the grenade to be loaded faster.
 Advantages and disadvantages
- Excellent for crowd-control;
- Does not need to hit the target to detonate; this allows you to shoot at the actual centre of a group;
- High damage and huge blast radius;
- Will not detonate on impact at extremely short range, for the operator's safety, but will still do some blunt damage on target, called "Noob Tubing" by many players;
- Light compared to other high damage weapons such as the Hunting shotgun or Crossbow
- Needs to be shot from a safe distance;
- Explosions create smoke clouds;
- Single shot weapon;
- Allies can block the grenade, usually either wasting the grenade or causing damage to the operator; (Fixed in update)
- Slower reload for individual shells than the M32.
 Bugs and exploits
- The achievement Blooper Reel may not accumulate scores when playing online. This can be remedied by playing the Solo mode to get the kills to acquire this achievement.
- Blooper Reel also can be done with M32.
The Demolitions perk gets a discount on the M79 from the Trader and spawns with it at level 6.
|| Sale value
|| Blunt damage